About Me

My photo
thought i was a donut, ya tried to glaze me

9.02.2008

Look who made the Daily News!

A few weeks ago, Daily News columnist Dennis Hamill wrote an editorial piece based on his understanding of the "two Rockaways." Now, I gotta give the guy some credit for even writing about what can often be a very bizarre and precarious dynamic on this tiny peninsula; there is so much weird, screwed up stuff going on, so many different people with various-sized chips on their shoulders, that every time I've attempted writing a sweeping blog post about my hometown, I stop. And that's just a post on my personal little blog.

In Hamill's article, he presented the unfair lifeguard distribution and used it as a way to cleanly explain the disparities between the two very different ends of this town (for an idea of just how different, check the crime statistics from the 100th precint--which caters the western end--and then check the 100th--which services Far Rockaway). I took offense to his writing that those on the Western end were somehow living in some paradise, when in reality we're given the same resources than those in Far Rockaway (read: absolutely nothing). Why hurt the cause of community unity by making things black and white? Nothing is ever that simple.

I was so bothered by this article that I sat down at my computer and wrote Mr. Hamill a letter. Earlier in the day I accompanied many other Rockaway residents to city hall and watched as so many of them spoke to a rather small number of councilpersons regarding the re-zoning of Rockaway. I'll write about that later, as I'm in the middle of gathering more information to substantiate my article. But the main point is that I spent an entire day watching as my neighbors and friends fought, in vain, to protect our hometown. They gave impassioned speeches, even as members of the board came late, checked their Blackberries, and then simply walked out early; the number was so low that although the vote couldn't even be made since they couldn't reach a quorum with so few members present.

Fighting City Hall and corrupt politicians and general, run of the mill assholes can get tiring; coming home, turning on Oprah and cracking open the Daily News to find an article like this doesn't help. I didn't think Hamill would respond, but when I read News today, I found a response addressed to me and scores of other people, all with different opinions on the article.

So kudos, man. You made me feel kinda special. And to my neighbors--mainly Bigblues@aol.com and Mamtwin1@aol.com [you're not anonymous if I can find you via your email addresses on Facebook)--please try to do a better job next time of masking your hate, racism, and ignorance in a public forum. You're venom is misguided and not helping anybody.

I've found that there's nothing with having or being a bleeding heart; it's what keeps you running and writing and believing things don't always have to be as they are.

2 comments:

Fortune said...

good for you. i won't even tell you my semi-cool news now. lmao

Anonymous said...

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.” - cw

I wonder if my writing has even improved?